When Standen was given to the National Trust, members of the family were invited to take a memento and one descendant took the Grand Piano that was in the Alcove in the Hall. It has recently been returned too us through a generous donation.
The piano was made by Broadwood in June 1898 and was delivered to the Beales’ on the 14th November 1898. The porters’ book entry for its delivery reads:
“Mrs. James S. Beale, 32 Holland Park W
A no. 4 Drawing Room cross-strung Gd Pf Rosewood a to c no. 45059
175 guineas for £156 net delivered to ditto.
Tune 6 months free then 4 @ 21/-
& moving a Collard Gd Pf in the house”
32 Holland Park was the Beales’ London address, where they lived until they moved to Standen permanently in 1905.
Broadwood & Sons was created in 1808 but has a history dating back to the early 1700s. At its peak, they were making 2500 pianos a year. Broadwood & Sons gained further recognition when Chopin used one on his first visit to London and soon other well-known people, like Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, were buying them.
Broadwood & Sons still exists today and regularly tune the pianos here.